Our real estate practice is made up of highly skilled, multidisciplinary lawyers who apply their in-depth real estate knowledge to a wide variety of complex real estate transactions, including entity and joint venture formation, equity raising, financing, asset acquisitions and dispositions, leasing, ground leasing and subleasing. Our attorneys have represented some of the industry’s largest developers, lenders, investors, investment banks, sponsors, family offices, real estate investment funds (REITs), and private equity funds in transactions in most major asset classes, including office, retail, light industrial, large-scale multi-family residential, data centers, solar parks, water banks, health care facilities, logistics, and hospitality.
The diversity of our clients provides us with a thorough understanding of the business objectives, issues and concerns of major real estate industry stakeholders. At FSPM, we understand that real estate transactions cut across a wide spectrum of disciplines and we have structured our practice to meet the needs of our clients. We leverage our decades of experience to anticipate strategically important shifts in the industry and respond to market conditions with an approach that is both sophisticated and pragmatic.
Representative recent transactions include:
- Acquisitions and dispositions of real estate since 2016 in excess of $7 billion, including single transactions in excess of $500 million, in Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, the District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia.
- Negotiation of multiple real estate secured permanent and construction loans on apartment, office and retail projects in Austin, Houston, Los Angeles, New York City, San Francisco, Sonoma County, and other locations, including a private equity fund in $200 million of secured, property financings for a portfolio of light industrial properties from multiple lenders, and a private equity fund in a $75 million shopping center construction loan.
- Negotiation of retail, industrial and office leases for landlords and tenants, from 100 square feet to 750,000 square feet, throughout the United States. Successful negotiation of retail leases with major tenants having a national footprint, including consumer technology, apparel, electric vehicle, restaurant, cosmetics, health clubs, and entertainment tenants.
- Negotiation of multiple joint venture arrangements for projects in California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, New York, Tennessee, Texas, Ontario, Canada, and Monterrey, Mexico, representing both capital and operating partners.
- Acquisitions and sales of hotels in California, Florida, New York, and Ohio, with individual prices as high as $180 million, as well as representation of a sovereign wealth fund in an investment in the owner of an iconic hotel in Beverly Hills, California.
- Negotiation of a co-investment joint venture with a sovereign wealth fund for ownership of a multi-use project in Los Angeles, California, having a value in excess of $300 million.
- Representation of a developer in the capital raise, acquisition and financing of numerous apartment complexes in the Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin, Nashville and Cedar Rapids areas, funded with taxable and tax-exempt revenue bonds and HUD financing.
- Representation of extremely high-net worth individuals in residential property acquisitions ($45 million plus).
- Acquisition of retail mall and separate air rights parcel for residential development in Chicago, Illinois, for large redevelopment project.
- Numerous reciprocal easement agreements and CC&Rs for retail and mixed-use projects including retail, office and residential condominiums.
- Advice regarding operations and leasing of complex mixed-use projects in Austin, Charlotte, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Oakland and San Francisco.
- Drafting and negotiation of multiple financeable ground leases and exclusive surface easements and negotiation of loans secured by such leasehold and easement interests.
- Drafting of construction documents with architects and other design professionals, and with contractors and subcontractors.